Martell, CA Change


0 0
Mark Kautz
08/04/2014 9:50 AM
Blue Creek was flowing when fishing writer Kautz visited. amador ledger dispatch photo by mark kautz

On Monday, the 14th, I was supposed to go on a “fishout” at Blue Creek with the Amador Flyfishers. Blue Creek runs below the dam at Lower Blue Lake and I wanted to be sure it was terrain I could fish.

I headed out on Tuesday, the 8th, and stopped for coffee. I got to the turn-off where you can go right to Lower Blue and Upper Blue Lakes or go left to Twin Lake and past Blue Creek. Since I wanted to take a look at the creek and Twin Lake, left it was.

I don’t know anyone that has fished Twin Lake or if it even has any fish, but I did see some surface dimples, which would indicate at least some small fish. I’ll explore this lake another time.

At the Day Use pit stop area, I turned around and headed to the creek. After spraying on bug repellant, with “3” in hand, I walked to the creek. I fished a Sloan’s Paralyzer for the first couple hundred feet and then the creek started its drop into the canyon. I fished down another couple hundred feet and then turned around. It is such terrain that this old body can’t do the rock-hopping it would take to fish any farther down, as it continues to drop rapidly.

I find it easy to fish down this type of terrain; it’s the coming out that’s hard, and this time was no exception. By the time I got back up to the truck, my legs were hurting and the promise of a miserable next day was foremost in my mind.

When I got back to the turnoff, I thought that it would be a good time to explore Lower Blue, since I’d never fished it. Forget that, I headed right for my spot on Upper Blue. I’ll do Lower another day.

I got to my usual spot and, with my cooler next to the red Coleman camping chair, set out one rod as far as I could cast it with rainbow Power Bait. I figured as soon as I got both rods out, I could enjoy the PB&J sandwich in the cooler. Before I could get the second rod in the water, the first one started bouncing with “fish on,” so the sandwich sat. The first fish was a 12-inch Rainbow and on the stringer it went.

I got that rod back out and quickly put the second one out and before I could get a bite of PB&J, both rods were bouncing with “fish on.” I was starting to wonder if I was going to starve before I could even get a bite of the sandwich. The first fish was lip-hooked, so I just turned it loose and the second one went on the stringer. With both rods out, I grabbed the sandwich, shoved it in my mouth and took a big bite.

The irony of it was that there was no other fish action for the next hour. I finished the sandwich, ate a couple of chocolate granola bars, and drank a half-bottle of water. Now I was ready for whatever the lake threw at me. Over the following hour, I brought three more to hand, all in the 11-to-13-inch range. With five on the stringer (a limit), I packed up and called it a day.

Driving back down to Highway 88, I stopped at Hope Valley Campground and gave two of the larger fish to the campground hosts so they could have a fish dinner. Once again, my reputation with them as a fishcatcher remains intact. They are busy keeping the campground one of the nicest we’ve ever stayed at. We were up there last August and again this past June. I think it’s right to share the spoils of my catching with them, since they don’t fish. They are a really nice couple and I look forward to coming up and camping again next year. In the meantime, I’ll just drop them off a couple of fish once in a while when I pass by.

Next Friday, I’ll be doing an article about Wednesday, the 16th, fishing with my friend and fellow blogging buddy, Juan, from Breaking the Bank blog ( I have plans for him, so you should check back next Friday to find out how it went.

Tight Lines.

Copyright © 2016 Amador Ledger Dispatch
Write a comment...